ant-user mailing list archives

From David.Bai...@lawson.com
Subject RE: Ant and Eclipse - more clear
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:53:37 GMT

I'm sure that this will work great, but I have to ask the question: Why do
you want to be dependent on Eclipse in order to run Ant?

It seems to me that a developer working in Eclipse, within the IDE, has no
compelling need to run Ant from within the IDE, since Eclipse provides
incremental compile.  And a developer working outside of Eclipse clearly
has no need for Eclipse.

If a developer happens to be working in Eclipse and wants to use Ant (to
leverage a particular buildfile that does cool stuff), Eclipse provides a
mechanism for that.  Just right-click the build.xml, and a nifty dialog box
pops up to allow you to run it.

My recommendation would be to focus on developing a build setup that runs
well from a command line without Eclipse, because you will be able to run
it from within Eclipse anyway, if you want to.  Why burden yourself (and
users who may not know/care about Eclipse) with unnecessary dependencies?

--dave

                      "Jim Allers"

                      <jim@advancedreal        To:       "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

                      ity.com>                 cc:       (bcc: David Bailey/Lawson)

                                               Subject:  RE: Ant and Eclipse - more clear

                      03/05/2003 10:27

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Ant Users List"

Able to successfully run a build with logging on Eclipse 2.1 (build id
200302270800) with:

[eclipse executable] -nosplash -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner
-f [build file] -logfile buildlog.txt