ant-user mailing list archives

From David.Bai...@lawson.com
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:42:21 GMT

I've read all of the responses to this topic thus far, and there seems to
be a clear theme in them, which suggests a course of action.

Specifically, there are still technologies (like MacOS) require J2SE1.2 and
before.  But it does appear that by and large, the technologies which do
not support J2SE1.3 or above are themselves on an 'end of life' path, just
like JDK1.1 has been 'end of life'd, and like J2SE1.2 will be 'end of
life'd on November 2.

No offense to those still using the affected technologies, but I see no
reason why a NEW release of Ant should support any technology which has
begun its slide out of existence.  I thus see no reason why a new release
should support JDK1.1, J2SE1.2, or the technologies which require them.

As long as future versions of Ant will still allow users to compile to
JDK1.1 and J2SE1.2, I opine that Ant 1.6 should only run on J2SE1.3 and
above.  Since the current Ant releases WILL run on older technologies, the
users who work with those technologies won't be adversely affected.  It's
true that they won't be able to run 'the latest and greatest', but clearly
they're not running the latest and greatest anyway.

So my vote is: Jump to J2SE1.3 with Ant 1.6.

--dave

                      Conor MacNeill

                      <conor@cortexebusin        To:       user@ant.apache.org

                      ess.com.au>                cc:       (bcc: David Bailey/Lawson)

                                                 Subject:  Dropping JDK 1.1 support

                      03/13/2003 10:05 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Ant Users List"

We've started discussing on ant-dev at what point we could drop support for

JDK 1.1 in Ant. Steve has suggested that we should ask the user community
for
opinions. I think that is a good idea so here goes.

Currently the Ant core and many of the core tasks are required to compile
under JDK 1.1. Optional tasks are able to require more modern JDK versions.

We are thinking about moving the core up to requiring JDK 1.2. It has the
advantage of allowing us to use JDK 1.2 facilities without resorting to
reflection and artificial interfaces, etc..

The options would be

1. Mark the Ant 1.5.x releases as the last JDK 1.1 compatible release. IOW,

Ant 1.6 would require JDK 1.2

2. Mark 1.6 as the last JDK 1.1 release. This would give more notice of the

change

3. Stick to JDK 1.1 support for now.

Please feel free to express your views.

Thanks