ant-user mailing list archives

From "Matthew Oatham" <>
Subject ANT best practices
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:33:37 GMT

OK I've ordered Java Development with Ant book but until it arrives I wanted your opinion.
Here's the question.

I create a base jar which will be used for deployment on different App servers so this base
jar needs different deployment descriptors added to it depending on the target app server.
In one build run a jar needs to be created for deployment on 4 different app servers therefore
I seem to have a number of options:

For each app server run a jar task specifying the directories of class of files plus the specific
deployment descriptor. Perhaps a bit of redundancy re-running a jar task all the time?

Create a generic jar in one task then in separate app server tasks copy the generic jar -
rename it and add the required deployment descriptor.

Create a fileset then use this fileset in each app server specific task running a jar task
to add this fileset plus deployment descriptor

Any other ideas / opinions / preferences?

Any feedback would be good.