ant-user mailing list archives

From "Markku Saarela" <markku.saar...@dnafinland.fi>
Subject RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:57:01 GMT
At least 1.2 i don't know anyone using 1.2
so number 1 choise i vote.

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: 14. maaliskuuta 2003 6:06
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Dropping JDK 1.1 support

We've started discussing on ant-dev at what point we could drop support for
JDK 1.1 in Ant. Steve has suggested that we should ask the user community
for
opinions. I think that is a good idea so here goes.

Currently the Ant core and many of the core tasks are required to compile
under JDK 1.1. Optional tasks are able to require more modern JDK versions.
We are thinking about moving the core up to requiring JDK 1.2. It has the
advantage of allowing us to use JDK 1.2 facilities without resorting to
reflection and artificial interfaces, etc..

The options would be

1. Mark the Ant 1.5.x releases as the last JDK 1.1 compatible release. IOW,
Ant 1.6 would require JDK 1.2

2. Mark 1.6 as the last JDK 1.1 release. This would give more notice of the
change

3. Stick to JDK 1.1 support for now.

Please feel free to express your views.

Thanks