ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <>
Subject RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:33:17 GMT
I think another thing people need to acknowledge is that not everyone
develops for Windows platforms, or, more specifically, platforms that
receive a high-level of support from Sun (ie: Linux, Windows, and Solaris).
This means, that in order for them to do Java development, they are
restricted to older versions of Java. It's not that they don't want to use
cutting-edge software, but rather, JDK 1.1 IS cutting edge for that
particular platform. I find the suggestions to switch to JDK1.4 laughable at
best, seeming as 80% of deployed Java software is implemented as 1.3 code.
If Java users wish to deprecate their language every two years, you will
soon start finding people no longer wanting to buy Java-based solutions. I
know of C++ applications that were written twenty years ago that still
function properly without having to be re-written. If we are going to force
every piece of software to be rewritten JUST to stay current with the
versioned compiler of the week, the Java industry is indeed dead. If we
can't support backwards compatibility and support for older implementations
of the language, then who in their right mind would want to invest in
developing Java solutions when there is a realization that the project will
have to be re-done in one or two years to ensure support.

That being said, if the Ant group wishes JDK1.2 or JDK1.3 to be the base
line to "COMPILE" ant, I'm fine with that, but if the suggestion is that
support for building projects under older JDK frameworks is going to be
deprecated, then this is a serious issue. As the de-facto build tool for
java, Ant plays an important role in the industry. I don't believe that this
decision should be made lightly, or even on the merits of the people who
were willing to respond to this thread. I would strongly recommend
considering the impact this has on providing Java support to more platforms,
and ensuring some level of backwards-compatibility. Without these aspects,
Java is no better than any other programming language.

I know most people here are responsible for managing the build process for
their respective projects, but it sounds like nobody has the experience of
managing multiple projects that are either in the stages of on-going
development, or are "functionally" complete. Not all products require
infinite development, and if the required objective of the product is
fulfilled, the amount of effort required to ensure its functionality should
be extremely limited. If this is not the case, then we should all just go
back to writing C++ code.