ant-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:01:58 GMT
On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 09:50  AM, Chappell, Simon P wrote:

>>> MacOS only supports 1.1, and will never see anything newer. The free
>>> VM's (Kaffe, SableVM, etc) do not support all the 1.4
>> features, MacOS X
>>> just got 1.4.1 a couple days ago. OS/2 has 1.3.1, OS/390 has 1.3.1,
>>> Linux on pSeries (RS/6000) has 1.3.1, Linux on 31 bit
>> zSeries has 1.3.1.
>>
>> It seems that the only system in the above list which would be
>> affected
>> by a shift to JDK 1.2 would be MacOS. As long as Ant 1.5.x
>> continues to
>> be supported (only for bug fixes, obviously) I don't see any problem.
>
> Actually, given that MacOS (i.e. all versions previous to OS X) is now
> official in end of life status, and that all new development is going
> into OS X, this does not seem like a huge concern to me. I use OS X
> and have just upgraded to Java 1.4.1, so I'm not having a problem with
> this personally. :-)

So are you offering to to purchase new Macs for all those still using
MacOS 9?

Just because Apple has decided to EOL MacOS 9, does not mean that
everyone upgrades over night. Only about 20% - 30% of all Mac users are
using OS X, that leaves quite a few with Java 1.1

Jesse Stockall - jesse@cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Corp.