ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Francis" <scott.fran...@newisys.com>
Subject RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:05:09 GMT
Of course the one thing that I find odd in this whole thing is....last time I checked ANT was
open source.  If you find bugs in the version of ANT you are using with 1.1 JDK, then you
have the opportunity to fix them yourself.  This way you can continue using whatever version
of ANT you want.

ANT is a great tool.  But for it to continue to grow it has to also be allowed to evolve along
with the Java code base.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 9:59 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support

These 20 years old C++ application you're talking about *might* still work
because they statically linked to all their dependent libraries, or used
such low level APIs (most the C one probably) that haven't changed for ages
because they're low level, and luckily the ABI of the platform didn't change
either. With dynamic linking and/or higher level APIs, forward compatibility
is much harder to achieve...

Java is dynamic in nature. The 'ABI' didn't change much since Java 1.1
(modulo the new assert stuff in 1.4), it's mostly the libraries that have
evolved. Staying back to a 1.1 level of libraries is like writing against
the C API as opposed to std C++ lib & STL.

You have a damn good 1.5 release that supports 1.1. If you are willing to
stay with an old OS that only supports 1.1, you have to bear the
consequences of your choice. Don't blame the Ant community for abandoning
Java 1.1 compatibility, blame the hardware/OS vendor *you* selected for not
sticking to Java (why should SUN to all the work!)

Claiming bugs won't get fixed is nonsense. Most bugs appear when trying to
support newer features and/or OS's, and you don't see very often someone
reporting a bug specific to a 1.1-only platform. The older the platform, the
more likely the bugs have been found and fixed. And finally, this is open
source software: if you do find new bugs for 1.1, then fix them! The 1.5
branch of Ant will still be active, as active as people fix the (rare) bugs
reported.

Ant should move on to Java 2, to get URLClassLoader, Java 2 collections, and
more. JDK 1.3 and 1.4 features will be part of separate antlibs.

Nobody ever said Ant couldn't be used to build 1.1 application. Ant should
just not be required to itself run on top of such a VM/JDK lib. --DD