ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Running non-Java compilers
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 22:19:58 GMT
Ant only has built-in task to deal with Java sources mostly. The Ant-contrib
project has a <cc> task (also called Cpptasks) which can compile C / C++ /
Fortran and others.

Ant cannot execute a Makefile (but can run make -f Makefile), and a makefile
cannot execute a Ant build file (but can run ant -f build.xml).

Ant and make are conceptually different, so you cannot think in terms of
Makefile when using Ant. Ant requires a thought shift from Make.

I'd advice picking up the Hatcher and Loughran book often discussed on this
list to start learning about Ant (and the <cc> task). --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: jennifer [mailto:jennifer@schooner.jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:30 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Running non-Java compilers

Hello,
I'm trying to verify whether or not Ant is language-independent,
i.e. that it can compile most any language.  We just downloaded
the latest version and I'm trying to run a simple "hello" c++
program and I can't figure out how to tell Ant to run the C++ compiler.

Also, can Ant execute a Makefile, and can Make execute Ant?

These are probably basic questions but I cannot find answers to them
by searching the archive.

Thanks.