ant-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Unrolling included jars in a new jar file?
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:59:42 GMT
Hi Sean,

When I said "describe the dependencies" I guess what I meant was "write the <include>
tags manually". I know that sounds like a pain, but that way you know ahead of time exactly
what the jar file should contain, rather than just "see what happens" approach that you get
with JBuilder. Our experience here is that JBuilder is not very good at determining the real
dependencies - it seems to pick up lots of unnecessary files, plus of course it misses anything
that's reflection-based (where there is no dependency in the .class file), such as JCE (security)
etc.

Or, as you say, you can use the Class-Path entry in the manifest to point to another JAR -
you can specify a manifest file in the <jar> task or use the nested <manifest>
element. Often that's a good approach too, particularly when you want to include something
whose license is along the lines of "you can distribute this stuff, but you must distribute
it intact, no fiddling ..." - e.g. JAF, JavaMail, ...

Anyhow, it sounds like you are away on this task and someone else has given you a link to
the <genjar> task too. Good luck!

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Leblanc [mailto:SeanL@e-infodata.com]
Sent: 27 March 2003 18:43
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Unrolling included jars in a new jar file?

Thanks, somehow I overlooked unjar. I think combining with jar, I can do
what I want.

I don't see genjar in the optional tasks in the manual. I guess I'm not
looking in the right spot.

When you say "it's better to describe the dependencies..." what does this
mean? Is this done using manifest(s)?

TIA,
Sean