ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Allers" <...@advancedreality.com>
Subject RE: Ant and Eclipse - more clear
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 21:09:25 GMT
I think the problem is that the developers do not want to be burdened with maintaining Ant
build files. So, if the developers aren't going to maintain build files, than the person in
charge of the builds has to maintain the build files. So, you start looking for ways of automating
the maintenance of the Ant build files based on the way the projects are setup in Eclipse.

The problem is convincing the other developers that they need to maintain a way of building
without dependending on Eclipse.

-----Original Message-----
From: David.Bailey@lawson.com [mailto:David.Bailey@lawson.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 2:54 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Ant and Eclipse - more clear

I'm sure that this will work great, but I have to ask the question: Why do you want to be
dependent on Eclipse in order to run Ant?

It seems to me that a developer working in Eclipse, within the IDE, has no compelling need
to run Ant from within the IDE, since Eclipse provides incremental compile.  And a developer
working outside of Eclipse clearly has no need for Eclipse.

If a developer happens to be working in Eclipse and wants to use Ant (to leverage a particular
buildfile that does cool stuff), Eclipse provides a mechanism for that.  Just right-click
the build.xml, and a nifty dialog box pops up to allow you to run it.

My recommendation would be to focus on developing a build setup that runs well from a command
line without Eclipse, because you will be able to run it from within Eclipse anyway, if you
want to.  Why burden yourself (and users who may not know/care about Eclipse) with unnecessary
dependencies?

--dave

                      "Jim Allers"

                      <jim@advancedreal        To:       "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

                      ity.com>                 cc:       (bcc: David Bailey/Lawson)

                      03/05/2003 10:27

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Ant Users List"

Able to successfully run a build with logging on Eclipse 2.1 (build id
200302270800) with:

[eclipse executable] -nosplash -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner -f [build file]
-logfile buildlog.txt