ant-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Ames <andreas.a...@tenovis.com>
Subject [Q] How to avoid <antcall> with generic <script> target for subprojects?
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:24:43 GMT
Hi,

I've followed Jim White's advice on how to call <ant> generically on a
list of subdirectories from within the build.xml of a superproject
(see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=102346699504250&w=2;
however, fwiw, I'm using jython).  The only thing, I'm not satisfied
with, is the way to set the target(s) for the different <ant> calls.
The mentioned recipe uses <antcall> for this and I'd rather avoid that
one, because:

1) I'm not sure about the properties and references and how they are
   inherited or not; that is I need the exact sets of properties and
   references as they are when the <antcall> occurs, (obviously with
   one new property that contains the target(s) to build in the
   subprojects) so I believe I must inherit them but then 'ant -v'
   warns me about properties not being overwritten; afaik (I'm new to
   ant) I can ignore these warnings, but it just 'feels' not right

2) it parses the build.xml once more

So I would like to avoid these <antcall> tasks but I don't know how to
do it esp. when I want to be able to call

ant build clean

and both commandline targets are configured to recurse into the
subprojects, because the ant property, which specifies the target(s)
for the subprojects, is immutable (as all ant properties, afaik).  So
is there any known pattern how to achieve this without the need to use
<antcall>?

TIA,

andreas