ant-user mailing list archives

From "Corbin, James" <James.Cor...@starwoodhotels.com>
Subject RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:12:54 GMT

Well, on the same note, should the Ant technology be forced to support such
an extremely old version of the JDK because you, your company or any other
user is using an older version of the OS?  If this was the case, no software
would ever get updated.

At some point, software developers have to make the leap to newer
technologies to stay competitive and productive in the space.  Just because
some people use Windows 3.1 doesn't mean Microsoft and other software
companies are going to support those platforms with new software or bug
fixes.

My vote, would be to move 1.3.x as a baseline support.  If you formalize on
1.2.x you are going to be having this same discussion in six months, only in
regards to moving to 1.3 or 1.4 JDK.  I would try to stay at a maximum 1-2
versions behind the most current.

Cheers,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Stockall [mailto:jesse@cryptocard.com]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 8:02 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 09:50  AM, Chappell, Simon P wrote:

>>> MacOS only supports 1.1, and will never see anything newer. The free
>>> VM's (Kaffe, SableVM, etc) do not support all the 1.4
>> features, MacOS X
>>> just got 1.4.1 a couple days ago. OS/2 has 1.3.1, OS/390 has 1.3.1,
>>> Linux on pSeries (RS/6000) has 1.3.1, Linux on 31 bit
>> zSeries has 1.3.1.
>>
>> It seems that the only system in the above list which would be
>> affected
>> by a shift to JDK 1.2 would be MacOS. As long as Ant 1.5.x
>> continues to
>> be supported (only for bug fixes, obviously) I don't see any problem.
>
> Actually, given that MacOS (i.e. all versions previous to OS X) is now
> official in end of life status, and that all new development is going
> into OS X, this does not seem like a huge concern to me. I use OS X
> and have just upgraded to Java 1.4.1, so I'm not having a problem with
> this personally. :-)

So are you offering to to purchase new Macs for all those still using
MacOS 9?

Just because Apple has decided to EOL MacOS 9, does not mean that
everyone upgrades over night. Only about 20% - 30% of all Mac users are
using OS X, that leaves quite a few with Java 1.1

Jesse Stockall - jesse@cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Corp.