ant-user mailing list archives

From "Duffey, Kevin" <KDuf...@marketron.com>
Subject RE: How to handle conditional capabilities?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:05:45 GMT
That would almost work, except that I want to do this in one build.xml file in complete, rather
than space it out over a few. It's a small project and I can't see having so many build files.
I just wanted to have a single build with several targets and depending on conditions (usually
set by parameters passed in), I would be able to make, build, package and/or deploy the project.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Price [mailto:eprice@ptc.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:01 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: How to handle conditional capabilities?

Duffey, Kevin wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> That sounds pretty close. Ideally, in a programmatic way I would have each little piece
in its own separate module, then call them however I wish, assembling the final "build" process
in a custom manner. For example, a target for make and build, where make would simply compile
classes and package up .jar files as necessary, but build would delete all compiled classes,
jar files, then do a full compile, then package up everything. I'd almost see it as a hierarchy
of targets. The default target is the one that "controls" everything, and always runs. Ideally
I'd like to be able to do something like:

> if (build)
> {
>   <antcall target="init"/>
>   <antcall target="clean"/>
>   <antcall target="compile"/>
>   <antcall target="build"/>
>   <antcall target="package"/>
>   <antcall target="deploy"/>
> }
> else if (make)
> {
>   <antcall target="compile"/>
>   <antcall target="package"/>
> }

It *seems* (if I understand) like you could achieve this by creating a
"build" target which simply depends on all the aforementioned targets,
likewise with a "make" target.
Use the <target depends="init,clean,compile,etc"> tag to do this.

Personally, I have a similar setup where my "test" target depends on
"build" which depends on "prepare", and I generally do my development
with this command:

ant clean test

Which first cleans the directory and then runs "prepare" target, "build"
target, and then "test" target.

Maybe this is helpful?

Erik

---