ant-user mailing list archives

From Ray Tayek <rta...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: local build file with ant
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 03:35:07 GMT
At 08:03 PM 3/24/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Ray,
>for this solution you have to recurse as well on each subdir the same way
>until
>you reach a package that you consider as an entity and that contains the basic
>target with the same name (this is a recursion).

oh, i did not notice that. it lookes like you were specifically naming the
targets and locations (i.e. <ant dir="${basedir}/modules"
target="clean"/>). i must have missed that.

>  it does not matter which target
>it is since <ant> call can call any target, the bad part of it beeing that u
>have to duplicate this kind of ANT code in the top build.xml for all the
>targets
>u need, but usually it should only be main, otherwise wat's the point of not
>having one single build.xml.

if required in more that one build file, maybe these could be in a file
list and included and do a for each on 'em somehoe?

>  u can also use the sample of code sent yesterday
>with pathconvert to compute dynamically the list of subdirs from your top dir
>(and so on recursively) not to hardcode the list of subdirs (nice when a new
>directory is added or renamed).

not familiar with pathconvert. i will check it out.

thanks

>FYI this was extracted from XDOCLET top build.xml file.
>
>++.
>
>seb.
>
>Ray Tayek wrote:
>
> > At 01:09 AM 3/23/03 -0600, you wrote:
> > >Hi Ray !
> > >here follows a sample of build.xml that makes <ant> recursive calls to
> > >clean the
> > >sub packages:
> > >     <target name="clean">
> > >         <echo message="Cleaning all: reverting back to source
> > > distribution..." />
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/core" target="clean"/>
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/modules" target="clean"/>
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/samples" target="clean"/>
> > >         <delete dir="${dist.dir}"/>
> > >         <delete>
> > >             <fileset dir="." includes="**/velocity.log*"/>
> > >             <fileset dir="." includes="**/maven.log*"/>
> > >         </delete>
> > >     </target>
> >
> > looks like he has to "know" what he is doing. imho, this is a good thing.
> > it looks to me that this will not recurse indefinitely (unless one of the
> > ant clean tasks in (say) core had similar logic to recurse?
> >
> > >the same can be done for compilation or any other task, for instance the
> > >main one:
> > >     <target name="main">
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/core" target="main"/>
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/modules" target="main"/>
> > >         <ant dir="${basedir}/samples" target="main"/>
> > >     </target>
> > >this is documented here in the ANT core tasks:
> > >http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/antcall.html
> > >
> > >seb.
> >
> > great! - this certainly solves part of the puzzle....

---
ray tayek http://tayek.com/ actively seeking mentoring or telecommuting work
vice chair orange county java users group http://www.ocjug.org/
hate spam? http://samspade.org/ssw/