ant-user mailing list archives

From Ken Gentle <>
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:02:23 GMT
As long as building with a 1.1 target is well supported, I'm +1 on dropping
1.1 as a requirement for a build or execution of Ant itself.

In my last several jobs, providing Application Service Provider model
software to corporations, I've had to deliver applets running in the
default IE 4/5 JVM, no plugins.

Ant has to maintain the ability to build targeting a 1.1 environment, and
as was mentioned in another email, the ability to use a 1.1 'javac' for
compilation is really handy, too.

At 03:05 PM 3/14/2003 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>We've started discussing on ant-dev at what point we could drop support for
>JDK 1.1 in Ant. Steve has suggested that we should ask the user community for
>opinions. I think that is a good idea so here goes.
>Currently the Ant core and many of the core tasks are required to compile
>under JDK 1.1. Optional tasks are able to require more modern JDK versions.
>We are thinking about moving the core up to requiring JDK 1.2. It has the
>advantage of allowing us to use JDK 1.2 facilities without resorting to
>reflection and artificial interfaces, etc..
>The options would be
>1. Mark the Ant 1.5.x releases as the last JDK 1.1 compatible release. IOW,
>Ant 1.6 would require JDK 1.2
>2. Mark 1.6 as the last JDK 1.1 release. This would give more notice of the
>3. Stick to JDK 1.1 support for now.
>Please feel free to express your views.
>Conor MacNeill
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: