ant-user mailing list archives

From Sebastien Blanc <Sebastien.Bl...@alcatel.com>
Subject Re: project management w/ ANT
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:06:56 GMT
Hi !
just to answer on this one with some more hindsight,  what I finally came up
with is to launch the application - here J2EE app srv - with jdb on a port
(standard JVM debug options), application beeing compiled in debug mode,
everything beeing done through ANT. IDE beeing used for debug mainly (at least
on my project), there is then no need to require _shared_ ways of build process
(one with ANT and another one with the IDE), the IDE build assuming everything
is compiled as a whole and not integrating as easily actions such as xslt
generation, xdoclet generation (generally generation of derived files) as ANT
can do.
so yes developers have their custom build.xml already present (not generated)
XML-including a top builddefs.xml and they use the IDE pointing to the
applicative archices produced by ANT with remote JVM debug connecting to the
above port.
this enable to have this central ANT setup (and use it) and be able to debug
very quicly with a very lite IDE project setup; also I don't see any drop of
performances when using remote debugging, which can also always be even more
usefull when wanting to debug an application on a remote pre-integrated host.
this is the easiest I found and I like it coz it enables to add very easily the
extra debug feature that has no place in ANT (understandable). also I then don't
have to worry about integrating/customizing IDE plugins to perform in a single
click what ant can already do in a single command line.
This drops the IDE use in a cingular way but I think ANT is pretty good enough
not to want to use IDE and IDE mainly during the development process.
seb.