ant-user mailing list archives

From Sebastien Blanc <Sebastien.Bl...@alcatel.com>
Subject Re: removing log output
Date Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:53:48 GMT
Hi !

sorry but I lost the thread reference on somebody wanting to remove the
log output and can't find it back through the mailing list coz only
contains the last month archive.

I just wanted to say that I am personnally not interested in seeing the
ANT log output removed coz in some cases some builds are one time shot
only and the log is highly needed; for instance the case of a general
build, when labels are created/updated in the configuration management
system the log is needed to know why a build did fail and I don't want
to do have to launch the build an extra time just to see why it did fail
so that the CMS is not overloaded with useless labels. another example
is regression tests: if they did fail I want the build to show why so
that the related developer can know very quicly what has to be
corrected, at best after javac compilation.

I can however understand this can be useless when doing incremental
development inside an iteration. For instance when using an IDE there is
sometimes the possibility to not see the ANT output (I know eclipse can
enable that for u). Otherwise there is already MailLogger that can be
used, but I think this is more to see everything that was logged instead
of not seeing it, but that would do it as well. Maybe you can propose to
the list exactly what u plan to do, and see the answers of everybody.

seb.