ant-user mailing list archives

From Sebastien Blanc <Sebastien.Bl...@alcatel.com>
Subject Re: local build file with ant
Date Sat, 22 Mar 2003 19:17:15 GMT
Hi !

just to give some insigth, I've seen the following organizations that may help
you in your choice:

1. JBOSS project for instance uses a buildmagic approach with one top build.xml
that is XML - included in all sub build.xml packages so that tasks can be shared
among one project (at least) and only need lite custo at the package level.
2. XDOCLET project until recently had one top build.xml to perform the recursive
builds of the package (global build) or enable separate compilation of each
package with a build.xml - using ant calls. I think they're talking of merging
all their jar files into one, but I'm not sure how this will affect their ANT
layout.

approach 2 is still widespread a lot in corportate environment where the
organization is mainly matrixial and developers are still assigned to a specific
package dealing with specifics funtionalities, maintaining it and testing it
(J2EE jar approach as well),
then having a build master launching global builds so that during SW integration
phase the whole application can be tested with some more high level tests. this
is true this is kinda Makefile approach but some organizations are still leading
it.

You can have a look at the following thread that gave me interesting inputs that
drove me for the final ANT setup of my project:
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=user@ant.apache.org&msgId=630807

The conclustion I comes up with (hope that will help ;-) is that you have to
find a middle point trying to get to the ANT philosophy with our own project
organization, i.e. find the ANT ways to keep this Makefile approach if u have to
- otherwise get rid of it, and stick to a global build.xml for all packages in
the project - must it be buildmagic, recursive ant calls or proprietary custos.

I also got the remark when asking quite the same question to think about the IDE
setup and, true I had to rethink a bit my initial ANT setup (command line
oriented) when integrating with the eclipse IDE, that assumes a global
compilation for all projects because that's the way most IDE works: u want to
debug the whole application, so you need to produce the binaries from one
application, one single click. So my best advice would be, try to re-work your
ANT setup for one of these IDEs and you should get fine.

seb.