ant-user mailing list archives

From Simon David Kelly <PaserExcept...@netscape.net>
Subject Re: "Blueprints" for Ant Templates?
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:46:57 GMT
Greg, Paul et al,

I think form what you are saying, you want a project creator that you
can run at the start of the project life-cycle, prior to the
requirements stage (Be fore you really know what you are going to
develop).  And this builder can have a collection of project types, as
in the JBoss example, that will then give you a required layout.

Having developed several medium size projects (two or three man teams) I
have come up with a couple of "rules of thumb" that can help in
structuring a project layout.

1)  Don't structure it till you know exactly what it is your developing.
 I like at least half the use-cases fully developed on paper prior to
coding a single line and all of the requirements.  You know then at
least half your code, and where reuse can be applied.  You also have a
naming strategy that will help with the layout.

2)  Only one person structures the layout, and use a checkout style cvs.
 This stops people who think there good and aren't from c**king up your
structure.  It happens, and more often than not.  And above all else
DOCUMENT the structure, preferably in plain english (language of your
choice :-))

3)  Use real names (not too much of a problem these days as most Java
developers are taught to be descriptive with class names and methods), I
have seen project structures with dirs called inc/ and seq/  (Initialize
Network Communications & Standard (e)Sql Queries [Yes this person
thought sql started with an 'e']).  This is also very helpful to those
who will be maintaining your code after you retire to the Hamptons.

4)  If you are extending a framework application (Like JBoss or Struts),
get the template they supply and use it's structure (they both have
one).  The applications generally need certain files/file types in a
specific location, if you follow their methodology you will eliminate
quite a few problems from the word go.

5)  Don't get stuck thinking that there has to be a certain structure
for every project of a specific type [apart from point 4].  The
methodology of programming and project development changes year to year,
as non programming academics theorize new ones.  Just because they have
the Dr. in front of there names does not make them right!  Pick a
structure that suits your team, not the latest ideas, a lot of them can
(and are) wrong for your way of working.

This is, of course, just my own opinion and way of working.  It works
for me and cuts down on the number of times I shout "Where the **** did
that class go!!", and the amount of times the project needs to be
restructured because one bit will not fit without a full re-code (Done
it once, NEVER again!!)

Remember that templates can be a good thing for small projects, and
beginners to an application.  They rarely work for very large scale
projects, so choose something that fits what you want .  It wont take
more than a morning, if you follow point one, and you will know right
from the start what you have and where it goes.

Just my 2 cents, but worth every penny ;-)

Cheers

--
Simon

"If it can't be done on the command line,
it ain't worth doing!"