ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stefano Mancarella" <stefano.mancare...@caboto.it>
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:43:02 GMT
Jesse Stockall wrote:
>> Ditto for me, 1.4 would be my recommendation. I don't know anyone
>> using jdk 1.3 or earlier.
> It's disheartening to see that so many people in the Java community have
> this "if I'm not using it, no-one is" attitude.

I think 1.2 is the correct choice. Anything above could create problems
to some users.

> MacOS only supports 1.1, and will never see anything newer. The free
> VM's (Kaffe, SableVM, etc) do not support all the 1.4 features, MacOS X
> just got 1.4.1 a couple days ago. OS/2 has 1.3.1, OS/390 has 1.3.1,
> Linux on pSeries (RS/6000) has 1.3.1, Linux on 31 bit zSeries has 1.3.1.

It seems that the only system in the above list which would be affected
by a shift to JDK 1.2 would be MacOS. As long as Ant 1.5.x continues to
be supported (only for bug fixes, obviously) I don't see any problem.

> My votes:
> +1 on making 1.6 the last release to support 1.1
> +1 on making the next release (Ant 2) require 1.2

Waiting for Ant 2 could be a long wait. Is version 1.6 the last planned
1.x version?

> -1 on making the requirement anything above 1.2

I agree, but Conor's message didn't include this option.