ant-user mailing list archives

From Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hu...@itcqis.com>
Subject Re: information about ant
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:49:03 GMT

Hello Ruel, dear list members,

Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2003 15:45 schrieb Ruel Loehr:
> As a newbie ant user i have some questions.  Can you please give more
> detail on
No problem.

> 1. get my sandbox up to date   -   What is a sandbox?
It's best explained with what the CVS info pages use as a "term" instead of
sandbox: "working directory containing copies of the source files".
A sandbox is a checkout ("local copy") of a module in configuration
management.
Usually it is important that your sandbox contains the most recent version of
all files in use.
Updating your sandbox connects with the module in the repository and gets all
the latest versions of your files so you won't miss any changes other
developers do.

The term sandbox thus is not specific to Ant. It is a common term in
configuration management / versioning systems that work with checked out
modules. CVS is such a configuration management system, and it is probably
the most popular one.
Ant has support for several configuration management tools including CVS,
ClearCase, Continuus / Synergy, Perforce, Pvcs, Source Off Site / MS Visual
Source Safe, Star Team, Visual Age for Java and probably even more.

Note that not every configuration management uses the term sandbox or works
with sandboxes at all.
Also note that despite what a "cvs checkout" creates in fact is a sandbox, the
info pages on cvs do not use the term sandbox but just call it "working
directory containing copies of the source files".

> 3. checkstyle / validate my source files  - What does this mean?
Checkstyle is a tool to check wether your java source files follow some code
conventions. Checkstyle checks for whitespace around non-unary operators,
naming conventions for variables, "constants", method names, class names,
package names, wether there are javadoc comments etc..
Validation is a term used in XML. Validation is a process to check wether your
files are a) XML files and b) follow certain constraints regarding wording
and structure defined in a DTD or Schema.

Following code conventions is very important - >80% of the life time of code
are maintanance. Code Conventions help improving the readability of code.

Checkstyle is not the only free tool available for asserting adherence to code
conventions.

Checkstyle is a seperate tool providing an Ant task.

Valid files are sure to be processed correctly by the software. Invalid files
might not be processed correctly or, depending on the software, not at all.

Ant can use any SAX/DOM/JAXP conformant validating XML Parser to validate XML
files.

The task to perform validation is XMLValidate.

Bye
- --
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer