ant-user mailing list archives

From "Woo, Chen Ching" <c...@spss.com>
Subject RE: anthill vs. cruisecontrol
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:23:36 GMT
CruiseControl has the flexibility to send emails based on the success and failure of build.
You can also configure it to send e-mail only if the build has been fixed.i.e. the previous
build failed but the current build succeeds. On top of that, you can have it always send emails
to designated set of people.

hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias P. [mailto:groups.mpatzak@gmx.de]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 1:54 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: anthill vs. cruisecontrol

Thanks for your all advice about anthill and cc.

who of you is doing continues integration? where are the limits of it? e.g a
build takes 30 minutes, so makes it sense to integrate every time someone
(of maybe 30 developers) checks something in. wouldnt that cause that every 30
minutes a build runs and everyone gets a e-mail (failed/ok), thats makes him
bored about the buildmails... or is it possible to just inform the developer
thats class made the build fail?

--Matthias

> One of the these CruiseControl implements, and to be honest I'm not
> sure about Anthill on this one, is the notion of a "quiet period".
> Because you may be committing a bunch of things in a row (to have
> different comments, which is something I commonly do) you wouldn't want
> the first of that batch to trigger a build.  So if CC wakes up and
> polls the SCM and sees recent activity, it sleeps a bit longer and
> tries again later to give things time to "settle down".
>
> So having a commit trigger a build might be just a bit too trigger
> happy on continuous integration, I'd think.
>
> Polling every 5 minutes not good enough for ya?!  :)
>
> 	Erik
>

> On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 05:05  PM, George_Schlitz@ssga.com wrote:
> > Sorry for the tangent (I will post on Anthill user group at some
> > point)-
> > Would it be possible to code a taginfo (or commitinfo for that matter)
> > script (in CVS repository) to do a http get of the URL created by the
> > "Build" button to automatically kick off an Anthill build based on some
> > kind of event like a tag using a reserved tag name (or commit)?  Has
> > anyone
> > tried anything like this?  If so I would expect it to work with
> > CruiseControl as well....
> >
> > URL example:
> > http://<ServerIP>:8080/AnthillPro/admin/
> > ?cmd=build&moduleId=Build+Manager%5D%5Bcom.urbancode.anthill2.impl.buil
> > dmanager.basic.BasicBuildManager%5D%5B1
> >

> > |---------+----------------------------------->
> > |         |           Erik Hatcher            |
> > |         |           <jakarta-ant@ehatchersol|
> > |         |           utions.com>             |
> > |         |                                   |
> > |         |           03/06/2003 04:46 PM     |
> > |         |           Please respond to "Ant  |
> > |         |           Users List"             |
> > |---------+----------------------------------->
> >> --------------------------------------------------------|
> >   |       To:       "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
> >   |       cc:
> >   |       Subject:  Re: anthill vs. cruisecontrol
> >> --------------------------------------------------------|
> >

> > Quick correction... CruiseControl runs on a schedule also.  It doesn't
> > get notified when something gets checked in, it polls just like
> > Anthill.  So in this respect they are comparable.
> >
> >              Erik
> >
> > On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 04:36  PM, Dale Anson wrote:
> >
> >> Both AntHill and CruiseControl run continuous builds. AntHill runs on
> >> a time schedule. CruiseControl builds whenever a file is checked into
> >> source control. AntHill is a web app, CruiseControl is a stand-alone
> >> app. Other than that, they are fairly similar in what they do -- both
> >> create web pages to show build progress and statistics, and both can
> >> handle multiple projects. AntHill is much easier to set up and is
> >> better documented.
> >>
> >> Dale Anson

Bitte l├Ącheln! Fotogalerie online mit GMX ohne eigene Homepage!