ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ANT best practices
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 16:45:58 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Oatham" <matthewoatham@hotmail.com>
To: <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 01:33
Subject: ANT best practices

Hi,

OK I've ordered Java Development with Ant book but until it arrives I wanted
your opinion. Here's the question.

>I create a base jar which will be used for deployment on different App
servers so this base jar needs different >deployment descriptors added to it
depending on the target app server. In one build run a jar needs to be
created >for deployment on 4 different app servers therefore I seem to have
a number of options:

>Create a fileset then use this fileset in each app server specific task
running a jar task to add this fileset plus
>deployment descriptor

I'd do this. Its easy to add new stuff to the fileset (=low maintenance) and
yet gives you customisation.

you could also use <antcall> to make the jar-for-an-app-server (dont you
hate that :) a reusable target.