ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Brown" <bro...@reflexe.fr>
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:21:06 GMT

> In my last several jobs, providing Application Service Provider model
> software to corporations, I've had to deliver applets running in the
> default IE 4/5 JVM, no plugins.

If Ant requires a more recent JVM, I still think it's important to be able
to target a particular older version of the Java API.  1.1 compatibility
should be obtainable at least by using Jikes and pointing it to
"classes.zip" or "rt.jar".

I suggested (as others did to) J2SE 1.4... in my case, I suggested it as it
has many useful APIs compared with older versions (I find that the JDK 1.4
release provides significant new features compared with other releases ; 1.3
didn't bring in much new stuff).  Things like regexp, JCE/JAAS, built-in
logging, that are available externally, but by using built-in stuff, Ant
download becomes smaller and Ant core code doesn't need to make so many
"what-if" cases to be compatible with external software and manage so many
dependencies.

For those that are happy with current release, they can keep it.  It won't
get worse just because other versions become available.

- Chris