ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Dropping JDK 1.1 support
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:18:50 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corbin, James" <James.Corbin@starwoodhotels.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 07:12
Subject: RE: Dropping JDK 1.1 support

> Well, on the same note, should the Ant technology be forced to support
such
> an extremely old version of the JDK because you, your company or any other
> user is using an older version of the OS?  If this was the case, no
software
> would ever get updated.
>
> At some point, software developers have to make the leap to newer
> technologies to stay competitive and productive in the space.  Just
because
> some people use Windows 3.1 doesn't mean Microsoft and other software
> companies are going to support those platforms with new software or bug
> fixes.
>
> My vote, would be to move 1.3.x as a baseline support.  If you formalize
on
> 1.2.x you are going to be having this same discussion in six months, only
in
> regards to moving to 1.3 or 1.4 JDK.  I would try to stay at a maximum 1-2
> versions behind the most current.

The big issue with java1.1 is the many introspection hoops we have to jump
through in the code to so things. Even simple things like copying timestamps
when copying files. This affects you: things are slow. It affects the ant
dev team as (a) we have more maintenance work and (b) new tasks are still
constrained to be 1.1 compliant. And thats what you dont see: the suffering
we have to do, for a few people that may still want to run ant on java1.1

Moving to v1.2 gives us collections, security that lets us finally catch
system.exit() is non-forked <java>, significantly better classloading and
other things that most java developers take for granted.

Java1.3 adds very little.
Java1.4 gives us assertions, which are nice but not critical.

Lots of systems still only have Java1.2; we are not looking at moving to
later versions because Java1.2+ support is a lot easier than the special
cases for 1.1.

-Steve