ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Running non-Java compilers
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:15:58 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 14:19
Subject: RE: Running non-Java compilers

> Ant only has built-in task to deal with Java sources mostly. The
Ant-contrib
> project has a <cc> task (also called Cpptasks) which can compile C / C++ /
> Fortran and others.
>
> Ant cannot execute a Makefile (but can run make -f Makefile), and a
makefile
> cannot execute a Ant build file (but can run ant -f build.xml).

with the caveat that I dont think ant.bat sets the failure code if the build
failed, as there isnt a way to do that cross-windows-versions. runant.pl
does it right.

> Ant and make are conceptually different, so you cannot think in terms of
> Makefile when using Ant. Ant requires a thought shift from Make.
>
> I'd advice picking up the Hatcher and Loughran book often discussed on
this
> list to start learning about Ant (and the <cc> task). --DD

ant contrib is a sourceforge project BTW, ant-contrib.sf.net. And the <cc>
task is incredibly smart -it even does dependency checking.