ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Wehby" <mwe...@TRIPLEI.COM>
Subject Re: information about ant
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:22:20 GMT
Scott,
    I do similar work.  Over the last couple years, I have been using Ant to
assist me in my work.  I use Ant in development and to deploy to different
servers.  There are many reason to use Ant, but the biggest reason I use it
is to assist me in development.  I development my code in a certain
directory structure.  I compile, package in an ear, and copy the classes to
the local app servers directories.  I also use it to automate the starting
of the server and the running of my cactus/junit unit tests.  This is nice
because it shortens the code/unit test cycle.

Mark Wehby

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Purcell" <spurcell@vertisinc.com>
To: <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 9:13 AM
Subject: information about ant

I am curious about how I may be able to benefit myself by understanding ant.
I am a java developer and create mainly  j2ee apps. I have run into a lot of
people who say I need to understand ant, but they never give me any solid
reasons why.

I have read the docs, and I have never had the need to use make. Most of my
apps are web-based. I would at least understand from possibly someone who
does similiar work as mine, as to see if I could gain productivity by using
this product.

I am always looking at ways to expedite compiling, creation of jars,
creation of web apps. Can ant assist on any of these lines?

Thanks,
Scott