ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Classloader problem with rpelaceregexp
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:58:16 GMT
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, William Ferguson
<william_ferguson@versata.com.au> wrote:

> OK, I'll try again with a different subject line.

At least for me it hasn't been a problem of the subject line 8-)

You obviously have all your facts together, you know why things happen
and you know how to fix it in an ugly way.  And no, I don't know of
any easier way (I don't think there is one).

> but it seems that classloading has become a bit of an issue.

It always becomes an issue if you try really advanced things in Ant.
The only real solution would be a cleaner class loader hierarchy,
where no Ant classes end up on thy system classloader.

Part of it could be done today by not using Class.forName in so many
places as we do (but rather set context classloaders and use them
where appropriate - and only in JDK 1.2+ of course).  But this
wouldn't solve the problem completely, which probably explains why
nobody has invested too much time into it yet.

Switching to something clean is impossible without seriously breaking
backwards compatibility for a lot of task writers who rely on Ant's
current classloader mechanics.

Stefan