ant-user mailing list archives

From "Martin" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Conditional target execution based on prerequisite execution
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:05:11 GMT
Tim/Mike
It appears we have 2 items here
1)The regular Target dependency tree
2)Targets which should be executed everytime the Project build is invoked.
Does Ant have a mechanism for ALWAYS executing specified targets everytime
the Project build is invoked
Regardless of the Dependency tree?
-Martin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Ayers" <mayers@NEVIKNETWORKS.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 1:02 PM
Subject: RE: Conditional target execution based on prerequisite execution

This is beyond my current skill level.  I suspect that it means something,
just something obscure.  Like all software of any complexity, Ant will have
interesting twists and turns that will be discovered as time goes on.

> If B is only run when one or more of its dependencies is run,
> then the
> problem seems to be those bootstrap targets which have no "depends";
> they need to be conditionally run to prevent the entire remainder of
> the chain from always being run.

Errr - I don't know if you realize it, but you are stating a basic build
principle hre.  Am I missing something?

> What is the canonical "Only create this directory if it
> doesn't exist"
> rule?

There may not be a canonical form, but this will work:

<condition property="dir.makeme" >
<available ${dir.name} >
</condition>
<mkdir dir=${dir.name} />

I have a suspicion, however, that just "<mkdir dir=${dir.name} />" will also
work.

/|/|ike