ant-user mailing list archives

From Alexey Solofnenko <A.Solofne...@mdl.com>
Subject RE: Removing whitespace in the code
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:35:20 GMT
If you want to preserve line endings you can use 'm' modifier or
<replaceregex match="\s{2,}" replace=" ">

It will not delete empty lines.

- Alexey.

--
{ http://trelony.cjb.net/   } Alexey N. Solofnenko
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ayers [mailto:mayers@NEVIKNETWORKS.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 3:32 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Removing whitespace in the code

	Here's mine:

perl -lpe "s/\s+/ /g" < src_file.html | \
		perl -lpe "s/^ //" > dest_file.html

> Since the code reduces the entire file to one line, either of
> these solutions are
> not good for JSP files with scriptlets (line comments
> suddenly make portions of
> your code commented out.) This could also cause problems for
> poorly formed
> JavaScript code embedded in the HTML file. (Automatic
> semicolon insertion uses
> line endings and closing brackets "}".)

	My solution keeps line endings intact, so there should be no
problems with per-line comments hiding code.  However, you may still have
problems with space-formatted string constants, <pre> code, embedded Python
(?!), and more, so use at your own risk.

	Note that by removing the "g" from the first perl script, you would
just trim lefthand space, which may be much safer.

> The best approach that I could see in developing a way to do
> this in ant is by
> writing a custom filterReader to make it happen during the
> copy task.  This
> filterReader would also be HTML and JSP aware in order to
> keep the spacing in
> scriptlets, and line terminators JavaScript or Style
> elements, depending on the
> <param> values passed to it.

	This would pretty much be a necessity for general use, as there are
inevitably places where spaces and/or tabs must be left unmolested.

/|/|ike