ant-user mailing list archives

From Dave Draper <Da...@geotrust.com>
Subject RE: Recommendations for moving from java to .NET
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:25:21 GMT
I agree.

We recently did a job for code signing applications that
will reside in Cell Phone's using MS SmartPhone OS. This
project could not be written all the way in Java. While
we did as much as possible in Java the only way to verify
the signed files and then resign the cab file with our
certificate was to use MS code libraries and write C++
code.

What I am now working on is a way to integrate building
the C++ code on Win 2K into our automated build process
which is Java/Ant. The only thing working to my favor is
that we build on Win2K platform so at least I don't have
to build on multiple machines.

- DD

-----Original Message-----
From: David McTavish [mailto:dmctavish@SANDVINE.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 13:17
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: Recommendations for moving from java to .NET

Maybe such immature comments are better left untyped, or at best, posted to
a different newsgroup. You should, at the least, acknowledge the fact that
they are still contemplating the use of ant, which, in my mind, is a HUGE
compliment to the tool. I for one, would like to see ant's use become more
"standard" within the industry, and NOT just for java development. The
biggest drawback is that there isn't a lot of internal/core support for
non-java development efforts, but with people having interest, maybe this
will be addressed. I know we started using ant because it worked well with
Java, but since, we've expanded to use it with our C++, VB, and java code.
It would be nice, that when our development efforts MUST include (by
customer demand) that we support the .NET framework, that we do not have to
re-think our build methodology because of tool support.

d.