ant-user mailing list archives

From Danny Zapata <dzap...@bea.com>
Subject porting over my make build process ant
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:36:05 GMT
I wanted to port our current build process over to ant and I have been
struggling with a couple of things.

This is the current build process:
For every project, the makefile 1st sources a config file, which contains a
bunch of common variables that are used for the build, then lists some files
to be compiled, then calls a makefile which contains rules common to all
projects.  The reasoning for using a common rules file is that the same
rules don't have to be repeated in every project makefile, the project
makefile only needs to include the rules file.  That way the project
makefile can only contain the files to be built.  The makefiles are included
using the include command within the project makefile.

In trying to implement this in ant, I am generating a properties file which
is to be included in the projects build.xml file.  That will suit my needs
(for now) for the config part.

For the common rules, I tried to include a rules.xml file at the end of the
project build.xml, using
<ant antfile="${EV_TROOT}\config\rules.xml"/>

Here is what my original makefile looks like (edited for space):

include ${EV_TROOT}/config/java_config.mk
srcdirs:=${EV_TROOT}/src/idl
idls:= \
	common \
	db \
	AuthenticationService
include $(EV_TROOT)/config/java_rules.mk

This is what the build.xml file looks like now:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<project name="jclient/corba" default="build" basedir=".">

		<property name="srcdirs" value="${EV_TROOT}\src\idl"/>
		<property name="idls" value="common db blm blm_rule blm_decl
blm_priv blm_subj blm_obj blm_srv LocationService ble pd ms ServerGroup
AuthenticationService"/>

	<target name="build">
		<property file="${EV_TROOT}/config/jconfig.props" />
		<echo message="${ORBIXWEB_HOME} here" />
		<echo message="${EV_TROOT} here" />

		<ant antfile="${EV_TROOT}\config\jrules.xml"/>
	</target>
</project>

So the major problem is that I can't properly include my rules file inside
my project file so I won't have to write any rules in the project file and
be able to reference the rules in jrules.xml inside my projects' build.xml
file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny