ant-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>
Subject Re: Ant Task and paths
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:50:00 GMT
On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 11:31 AM, David Corbin wrote:
>> If you use a relative path then Ant will resolve the path based on
>> what ${basedir} is set to. i.e.
>
> How?  Do you mean ant will do that using the FileUtils you mentioned?
> Otherwise, I don't see how Ant will know that a given
> attribute/property is a filesystem reference.

Ant 'knows' it's a file system reference because the task requires it,
for example in the <jar> task the 'destdir' attribute must be a
reference to a file, the setter in Jar.java is 'setDestfile(File
jarFile)' If you specify something that can't be resolved to a file,
the task will fail.

> When I spoke about absolute paths, what I meant was this:  as the
> writer of the build.xml, I can convert all relative paths by an
> explicit reference to ${basedir}.  What I was unsure of, was if
> requireing this was standard behavior for tasks, or not.   Apparently
> not.

There is no need to reference ${basedir} when defining your properties.

Assume build.xml lives in c:\source

<project name="myproj" basedir=".">
	<property name="mypath" value="build/lib"/>
</project>

The ${mypath} property will be resolved to c:\source\build\lib when it
is used in a task that requires a file or directory

Jesse Stockall - jesse@cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Corp.