ant-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Compiling and building your own ant.jar
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:12:36 GMT
Tony,

I just noticed one of your arguments has a space in it.

'-pr//Titan/PVCS Archive/WebConnect'

I guess this should be quoted in the call to CreateProcess, and as it isn't, PVCS can't parse
the command line properly so it gives you its standard "hello world" output instead of doing
as you require.

I know nothing of PVCS or its Ant task but a quick work-around might be to try it with the
MS-DOS mangled name (probably something like Titan/PVCSAr~1/WebConnect).

Hope this helps
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony.Cavanagh@smartstream-md.com
[mailto:Tony.Cavanagh@smartstream-md.com]
Sent: 19 February 2003 14:21
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Compiling and building your own ant.jar

I have used -debug with ant but it doesnt give me any new information. The
error message with debug  get states

Setting ro project property: ant.version -> Apache Ant version 1.5.1
compiled on October 2 2002
Setting ro project property: ant.file -> C:
\Work\WebConnect\Sandbox\SecondProject\person\build.xml
parsing buildfile build.xml with URI =
file:C:/Work/WebConnect/Sandbox/SecondProject/person/build.xml
Setting ro project property: ant.project.name -> SecondProject
Adding reference: SecondProject -> org.apache.tools.ant.Project@30d082
Project base dir set to: C:\Work\WebConnect\Sandbox\SecondProject\person
 +Target: getFromPVCS
   +Task: pvcs
Build sequence for target `getFromPVCS' is [getFromPVCS]
Complete build sequence is [getFromPVCS]

getFromPVCS:
     [pvcs] Executing 'pcli' with arguments:
     [pvcs] 'lvf'
     [pvcs] '-z'
     [pvcs] '-aw'
     [pvcs] '-pr//Titan/PVCS Archive/WebConnect'
     [pvcs] '/archives/Sandbox'
     [pvcs]
     [pvcs] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
     [pvcs] not part of the command.
Execute:Java13CommandLauncher: Executing 'pcli' with arguments:
'lvf'
'-z'
'-aw'
'-pr//Titan/PVCS Archive/WebConnect'
'/archives/Sandbox'

The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
not part of the command.

     [pvcs] PVCS Version Manager (VMGUI) v6.7.00 (Build 894) for Windows
NT/80x86
     [pvcs] Copyright 1985-2000 MERANT.  All rights reserved.

Now I have a good guess  that  '-pr//Titan/PVCS Archive/WebConnect'
(setting my repository to  //Titan/PVCS Archive/WebConnect)  is causing the
build to fail, but I dont know why.

By adding debug code into the method that deals with PVCS, I can see if its
a ant prooblem, a PVCS problem or even if ant is having problems with my
mapping to the other machine where the PVCS repository is stored.

The error message : "The ' characters around the executable and arguments
are not part of the command." is not very helpful.

Tony

                      Adam Rzadkowolski

                      <adam.rzadkowolsk        To:       "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

                      i@axit.pl>               cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Compiling and building your own
ant.jar
                      19/02/2003 14:11

                      Please respond to

                      "Ant Users List"

At 14:04 2003-02-19 +0000, you wrote:

>Has anyone downloaded the ant source and used it to build there own
>ant.jar, the reason I would like to do this is so that I can put proper
>error messages in and see where my build is falling over.

why don't you use ant -debug?
Adam