ant-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Missing & misleading documentation, help needed on advanced Jar functionality
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:36:25 GMT
I wouldn't try to make your application into one single jar file.

IMHO, it's better to have *your* class files in a jar file whose manifest contains "Class-Path"
entries pointing to the other jars your application requires. Then there's no confusion about
who supplies which class file, versioning, etc...

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: webhiker%tiscali.fr [mailto:webhiker@tiscali.fr]
Sent: 11 February 2003 09:34
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Missing & misleading documentation, help needed on advanced Jar
functionality

The problem :
I want to combine all the jars required by my application into a single,
executable jar file. Ant is good for this.
However, the JavaBeans Activation Framework jar needs certain manifest
info, else it generates an error :
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.SecurityException: no manifiest
section for signature file entry
javax/activation/DataContentHandlerFactory.class
sun.security.util.SignatureFileVerifier.verifySection(SignatureFileVerifier.java:260)

The solution:
Ant docs for jar task indicate it's possible to include manifest
information from a jar file, and combine it with any other info you
include. However, no example is given. It also states falsely, that
"This element is identical to the manifest task".

So I try :
<jar...
  <manifest file="${activation.jar}">
    <attribute name="Built-By" value="${user.name}"/>
    <attribute name="Main-class" value="mypackage.MyName"/>
   </manifest>
</jar>

Ant complains "org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Manifest doesn't support
the "file" attribute."
So it's not identical.
But I cannot find any other info which allows me to specify how to tell
the jar task where to copy the manifest info from.

It may be more complicated, since look at the contents of activation.jar
manifest:
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
META-INF/SUN_MICR.SF
META-INF/SUN_MICR.RSA