ant-user mailing list archives

From "Naresh Bhatia" <NBha...@sapient.com>
Subject RE: Ant reference book
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:19:03 GMT
I spent hours at the bookstore evaluating which Ant book I should buy. I
finally picked "Java Development with Ant" by Erik and Steve. I have
learned so much from this book and I would whole-hearted recommend it.
Naresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 8:27 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Ant reference book

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 05:55  AM, Herr Christian Wolfgang
Hujer wrote:
> I have the small and the big Ant books from O'Reilly. Usually I'd
> recommend
> O'Reilly, but, though these are very good, they don't explain much of
> Ant's
> additional tasks. I've heard there's an Ant book out there that even
> devotes
> two chapters on XDoclet. I'd recommend at least taking a look at that
> one,
> just for hearing that it also covers XDoclet.

Two books on Ant from O'Reilly?  Really?  I have three (well, ok, I
co-wrote one of them) different books: the Sam's book, the O'Reilly
one, and the one Steve and I wrote.

I could give you the sales pitch on why ours is the best, but that is a
pretty biased opinion and I wouldn't take an authors opinion alone
either :).  Check the reviews at Amazon, that should tell you the
bigger picture.  Also, Steve and I are both very active Ant committers,
which tells you that the information there is "directly from the
source" (literally... the number of bugs fixed in Ant during the
writing process is surely in the double digits).

Our book includes a complete chapter on XDoclet, as well as several
other usages of XDoclet for web development and EJB development.  In
fact, the entire appendix E Ant Task Reference was generated with
XDoclet.  Look in the latest Ant binary distribution in the docs
directory and you'll see Appendix E there - we donated it to the Ant
project.

	Erik