ant-user mailing list archives

From "Zac Thompson" <zac.thomp...@adexact.com>
Subject RE: Recommendations for moving from java to .NET
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:22:05 GMT

> But, *you* must admit the same qualities that make Ant so
> appealing are the
> same ones that stem from Java and are inherent with J2EE.
> For someone to
> recognize that in Ant, but not in Java/J2EE, was... funny.

A number of those same qualities are present in the .NET world.
Competition is *good*. ... and .NET actually seems to have
very good XML support built into it, much more so that J2EE.

And the one thing you can't do when working in J2EE is pick a
different language (yes, I'm aware that this is not completely
true in every sense, but you know what I'm saying).  Not so
with .NET.  If you plan to run on Windows servers anyway, it's
a meaningful advantage, especially if the development team is
already familiar with Windows (Visual Studio) development.

But that's enough of that discussion.

Ant tasks yet, but I'm also interested to know of any gotchas
that might have been encountered by others, since I will need
them soon.  Thanks to Martin for his notes, and to Steve
Loughran for his comments on what to hope for in Ant 1.6.

Zac