ant-user mailing list archives

From dalg...@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Subject Re: javac out of memory error
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:45:42 GMT
In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0302271140420.30458-100000@snowball.pcbi.upenn.edu>,
Dave Barkan  <user@ant.apache.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running ant 1.5 on Linux.  I'm compiling a large number of java source
>files (1200 or so at once) with the <javac> task.  I get this error:
>
>[javac] Compiling 1290 source files to <dir>
>    [javac] The system is out of resources.
>    [javac] Consult the following stack trace for details.
>    [javac] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Odd.  Was having just this exact same problem yesterday.

Turned out that, even after upping the memory to ant and successfully
compiling the java file, we couldn't run the class because it was too large
(or more like, a certain piece of data was over 64k).  This was a machine
generated .java file, so not too surprising that happened.

Made me wonder though.  If you're running out of memory building it, does
that mean there's a good chance you won't be able to run it because the
class it too large.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/