ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Ayers" <may...@NEVIKNETWORKS.com>
Subject RE: Conditional target execution based on prerequisite execution
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:43:57 GMT

> From: Martin [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 3:05 PM

> 1)The regular Target dependency tree

	This, it should be noted, is really no different from make.  It can just be difficult to
line up features between the two.

> 2)Targets which should be executed everytime the Project
> build is invoked.

	This would be any target which does not have some form of conditional execution.  There are
three forms of conditional execution:

	1)  Explicit condition via "if=" for the target.

	2)  Implicit condition built into the task

	3)  Dependencies

	I think that the biggest conceptual hurdle here is how and whether (2) can be propogated
to (3) so that, for instance, a target which contains only a javac task does not trigger execution
of targets which depend on it unless it compiled at least one class.

> Does Ant have a mechanism for ALWAYS executing specified
> targets everytime
> the Project build is invoked
> Regardless of the Dependency tree?

	I certainly hope not.