ant-user mailing list archives

From Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com>
Subject Re: getting the exec task to run a script which spawns a child process
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:42:34 GMT
Hello,

Melissa Hao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the exec task to run a shell script called foo.sh.   foo.sh has "bar &" inside
of it, which spawns a background child process.  foo.sh finishes pretty quickly, but the exec
task waits for bar to finish before moving on.  This is a problem for me because bar is supposed
to run indefinitely.

which explains a workaround for getting foo.sh to run indefinitely.  Do I use the same workaround
to get bar to run indefeintely?

I posted a more recent version you can read at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-user&m=104322316306620&w=2.

But all you need to do in foo.sh is call bar like this:
    nohup bar </dev/null > bar.out 2>&1 &
so that all of stdin, stdout and stderr are redirected before putting it
in the background.

-Bill