ant-user mailing list archives

From David Corbin <dcor...@machturtle.com>
Subject Re: Ant Task and paths
Date Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:31:26 GMT
Jesse Stockall wrote:

> On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 10:48 AM, Martin wrote:
>
>> Jesse-
>> Many of the Unix installations use Relative Path with 100% success
>> but the
>> absolute path gets munged because
>> of the difference of the treatment of <root> between Unix vs Windoze
>> Has this been resolved?
>

> I'm not really sure what you are asking.
>
> If you use absolute paths they will not resolve on anything but their
> native platform i.e.
>
> 'c:\pathname' will only work on Windows, '/pathname' will only work on
> Unix platforms and 'volume:\pathname' will work only on NetWare
>
> If you use a relative path then Ant will resolve the path based on
> what ${basedir} is set to. i.e.

How?  Do you mean ant will do that using the FileUtils you mentioned?
Otherwise, I don't see how Ant will know that a given attribute/property
is a filesystem reference.

> Path in build file = 'build/lib'
>
> On Windows if ${basedir} = 'c:\path', it will be resolved to
> 'c:\path\build\lib'
>
> On Unix if ${basedir} = '/home/jesse', it will be resolved to
> '/home/jesse/build/lib'
>
> I have had no problems using relative paths (cross platform) and
> absolute paths (single platform)

When I spoke about absolute paths, what I meant was this:  as the writer
of the build.xml, I can convert all relative paths by an explicit
reference to ${basedir}.  What I was unsure of, was if requireing this
was standard behavior for tasks, or not.   Apparently not.