ant-user mailing list archives

From Dale Anson <dan...@germane-software.com>
Subject Re: AW: Conditional target execution based on prerequisite execution
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:38:45 GMT
I think the problem/perception boils down to the difference between a
target and a task. Targets have no concept of "out of date". Target can
have dependencies, but the dependencies are targets that again have no
concept of "out of date". Tasks (including the property task) can
understand "out of date". The javac task is a good example in that it
only makes the compiler compile out of date source files. However, tasks
are not required to have any sense of "out of date". For example, the
echo task blindly prints a message to the output stream everytime it is
called, it doesn't know or care whether it already printed the message.
You can make a target "know" about being out of date through use of
properties and the if/unless target attributes. This isn't automatic,
you have to do the set up yourself. From your examples, if you tell Ant
to run target B, Ant will run target B and target B will attempt to
execute all of the tasks it contains every single time it is called
(depending, of course, on the result of the if/unless tests). Note that
target B only takes non-zero time to run if the tasks it contains take
non-zero time to run, and again, the determination that a particular
task in a target should execute is  performed by the task, not the target.

Dale Anson