ant-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <adam....@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject build.xml & build.properties best practices
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:20:54 GMT
Hi All,

I am using ant for several different java projects:

- often using completely different 3rd party jar like JAXB or struts or
cachedRowset
- sometimes with tomcat, sometimes with weblogic, occasionally just java
- some are web apps, one is EJB, one is Swing.

I am always editing my build.xml and I often think I am not making best
use of build.properties.

Should I write a build.xml file which takes a build.properties that will:

- allow me to specify just one variable in the build.properties to
switch appserver such as appserver.name=${weblogic}

- let me say which external jars I want to include in the classpath,
deploy and dist targets, for instance
external.jars=${struts.jar}:${rowset.jar}:

Would this be a sensible use of time or should I just carry on hacking
my build.xml, or is there an optimum in between?

TIA for any comments!

Adam