ant-user mailing list archives

From Sebastien BLANC <Sebastien.Bl...@alcatel.com>
Subject Re: project management w/ ANT
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 04:01:38 GMT
Hello !
see inserted.
seb.

* Martin wrote:
"The reply to your specific question is that using an Unix Shell with find to
accomplish the functionality you desire..
The more general question you pose is relevant to all Ant users
My Question:
Each developer is assigned a specific package do they generate a build.xml
from their IDE or is the build.xml provided ?"

-> in my case (which shouldn't be only mine) the IDE tool is mainly used for
debug by developers. for compilation - as I see it - they can use either the
command line w/ ANT or the IDE. For now since I only have these scripts that
generates build.xml files, the IDE would use the generated build.xml to launch a
compilation on a specific package. now, I wouldn't want these private build.xml
files to be registered into my configuration mgt system coz they are only a
duplication of the top one and I don't want anybody to have to maintain or mess
w/ them.
also I don't use the IDE to launch global builds for iterative releases, vaults
and so on.

not sure what u meant. even when using an IDE, u're still required to generate
these build.xml files ? I don't know much about IDEs products though, maybe you
know a tool (NetBean or so ?) that would generate the build.xml from a top one ?

* Ken wrote:
"The quickest solution might be to install Cygwin and use the unix
script...  I've been doing this with ANT and other java based tools for
years, and the scripts usually require only a few minor path related tweaks
before they work on both platforms."

-> thanx. I had a look and the tool is very cool. I would however prefered not
having to maintain my UNIX script and rely on a third party-product java based
tool to achieve such a task. ANT would seem the rite place.

* from Kyle Adams, does anybody knows who maintains this page:
http://ant.apache.org/external.html
I tried the email contact for the Configure project but got no answer so far.

* finally, only Dominique D. replied about the java dependencies computing. this
looks like a very common task to me. any future in ANT for that ?

seb.