ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ciramella, EJ" <ECirame...@emptoris.com>
Subject RE: Parsing task
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:53:18 GMT
Why not break these properties out into a property file?  Then you could
handle it one of two ways:

- have dev.properties, stage.properties, prod.properties, etc and rename
them when doing the packaging (using a glob file mapper).

- or -

- look at the optional task, PropertyFile (this allows you to modify a
property file).

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Reeves [mailto:CReeves@medfusion.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 4:44 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Parsing task

I've been searching for a task that would do a little parsing for
me...it seems I've seen this sort of thing before, but that may have
been a dream...

I have two ant xml files for my project - one builds the project
(build.xml), one runs the executable (run.xml) produced by the build;
this second file is simply bundled with the distribution.

It works great - except that the properties in the run.xml must be
changed on a per-environment basis (dev, stage, prod). And I only need
to change a couple of lines.

So, I'd like to have something like:

<!-- ========== mail properties ========== -->

<dev>
<property name="to.address"
value="devuser@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="from.address"
value="devappthingy@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="smtp.server"
value="myserver.nowhere.com"/>
</dev>

<stage>
<property name="to.address"
value="devuser@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="from.address"
value="stageappthingy@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="smtp.server"
value="myserver.nowhere.com"/>
</stage>

<prod>
<property name="to.address"
value="produser1@nowhere.com, produser1@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="from.address"
value="appthingy@nowhere.com"/>
<property name="smtp.server"
value="myserver.prod.nowhere.com"/>
</prod>

The end product should contain only the xml relevant for the environment
it was built for.

Also, I know I could run ant with a specific target that sets these
properties, but that means that all properties for all env's would be on
each system.

I suppose I could use xslt to alter the file, but it seems there should
be something easier. I scoured the Hatchet/Loughran book, but didn't
find what I was looking for. Any ideas?

Chris