ant-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Wall <tw...@oculustech.com>
Subject Re: Conditional target execution based on prerequisite execution
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:26:06 GMT

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Mike Ayers wrote:

>> If B is only run when one or more of its dependencies is run,
>> then the
>> problem seems to be those bootstrap targets which have no "depends";
>> they need to be conditionally run to prevent the entire remainder of
>> the chain from always being run.
>
> 	Errr - I don't know if you realize it, but you are stating a basic
> build principle hre.  Am I missing something?

Well, none of the ant examples or sample build scripts make the "init"
target conditional.  Which means it is always run, which means that
"compile" and "dist" are always run, whether or not they need to be.
Since all of the ant documentation provide that as the canonical "init"
target, it is easily inferred that that is the common or expected
behavior.  I don't think that it *should* be the common or expected
behavior.

"Make" ties targets to the filesystem.  While this becomes a liability
when you *don't* want a target tied to a file, it does give you good
default automatic detection of when a target is up to date - does the
file exist?  ant has no such built-in default behavior.  While the
functionality is certainly there by way of properties, it's not
necessarily clear and certainly not extant in any examples.

So the short answer to my question to prevent the whole ball of wax
being run every time is this:
The init target needs to conditionally execute based on whether its
tasks have already been done.  Detection of whether its tasks have been
done must be done by setting properties.

Note that
<target name="init">
	<mkdir dir="name"/>
</target>

Will *always* be run, and therefore cause everything else in the
project to be run.  This is a horrid example to propagate, since it
results in a failure of the project to scale.  Instead, the examples
should look like this:

<property-setting-magic name="init-not-done" value="dir.name exists"/>
<target name="init" onlyif="init-not-done">
	<mkdir dir="name"/>
</target>

This means, however, that every "bootstrap" target has to have an extra
bit of logic that's not actually part of the <target> tag, which adds
to the project file complexity.  This sort of thing should be built in.