ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ANT visions and best practices
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:49:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthias P." <groups.mpatzak@gmx.de>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 01:07
Subject: Re: ANT visions and best practices

> Hi Simon,
>
> thank you for your advice.
>
> > 2. look at junit, httpunit and cactus, if you havent already. Java tools
> > for
> > Extreme Programming is another book in this area.
>
> So you suggest to run auto-tests during the build process? Do you run all
> unit test of your developers or just a subset.  Which kind of unittest
will
> this subset include?

Well, once you break your code into separate jars, they have their own unit
tests, which only need running when the jar *or a dependent lib* changes.

> > 4. Set up an automated build system, such as CruiseControl
> > (cruisecontrol.sf.net), for a continuous build.
>
> CruiseControl is for continues integration. Isnt'it? Our project will be a
> very large project, so is it a good idea to run a complete build every
time
> someone checks in new sources?

yes. Invest the time in getting to grips with this *early* in a project, as
it is most useful in the phase when it is too late to get distracted by
getting it working.

> > 5. automate all deployment, post deployment testing,
> >
> > 6. treat deployment config problems as defects and write tests for them
> > before you fix.
>
> So I write JUnit-Tests for the deployment or which test-tool do u suggest?

httpunit. Cactus.

IF you want an example of a test page, look at happyaxis.jsp that ships with
axis. This is a jsp page that looks for needed libraries, the XML parser,
etc. It is mostly used by axis end users, but as it returns 500 when
unhappy, a simple <get> in Ant or an httpunit probe can validate the config.

I talk about this a bit in chapter, um, 17 of JDWA, 'advanced deployment',
with an interlude that is more software engineering theory than ant
specifics. Also in http://iseran.com/Steve/papers/wstw