ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ANT visions and best practices
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:43:31 GMT

"Mike Castle" <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:sdl2jx8p8.ln2@thune.mrc-home.org...
> In article <005a01c2de9e$39803de0$0301a8c0@BusinessOmaha.com>,
> DoNOTuseREPLY <user@ant.apache.org> wrote:
> >I am also ANT-green behind-the-ears.  In addition to what has already
been
> >suggested, you might try Ant Developer's Handbook from SAMS and on
>
> Can't stand that book.
>
> I also got "Java Development With Ant" and I like it MUCH better.  And I
do
> own both.  Actually, what is funny is how much of ADH actually references
> Steve's "Ant in Anger" document.

There is someone I know, well known in a bit of the academic community, who
refuses to read papers in his area unless they cite him. He doesnt mind if
they disagree with him, as long as they show they have done their due
diligence, which includes reading and understanding the docs, maybe even the
source.

In a way, the fact that ADH cites the ant in anger paper shows they have
done their reading, and they even go out to criticse me -though they work of
an old (1.4) copy of the paper to find fault. I actually agree with their
criticisms too, which is why the 1.5 build gave corrected instructions on
how to switch between release and debug builds.

I found the book jittered between 1.4 and 1.5 versions; probably a symptom
of 1.4 being used by most of the authors -nothing is directly wrong in the
1.4 chapters, merely inefficient. Can you imagine a time before <fail if>
and <fail unless>?

SAMS are bringing out an 'Extreme programming with Ant' book this summer,
BTW.

> Save your money and just get Erik's and Steve's if you need to get a book.

You might say that, I cant possibly comment :)

-Steve