ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Knox" <david.k...@iona.com>
Subject RE: ant on Cygwin -- spaces in dirnames
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:15:01 GMT
Hi Eric,
I'm an emphatic cygwin and ant user. I've not had the problem that you
describe, but I'm not a believer in putting spaces in directory names.
I've never derived enough benefit from the practice that I am compelled
to use the practice. Consequently, there isn't much that I allow to be
installed into the "Program Files" directory.

You might be able to get around the problem by making sure that the Ant
script puts quotes around the qualified directory. In other words, 'cd
"dirname" "$PRG"'. Another possible strategy would entail using a cygwin
tool called cygpath that can map semantic differences between unix and
windows path structures. There should be a man on cygpath in the cygwin
distribution.

The solution to the problem is to take control of installations on your
windows machine. Installers tend to default to the Program Files
directory but in most cases (unless the program you are installing has
inappropriate dependencies on the Program Files directory) you can
install into any directory you wish.

Hth,
-- dave

I'm