ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Interesting marketing slogan (was: RE: ANT visions and best practices)
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:25:57 GMT

I stopped worrying about localisation issues a long time ago. Its easier to
teach people I work with phrases like 'on the blower' and ' a dogs
breakfast' than learn equivalents. What is harder is that US people grew up
with a different set of TV programs , so that they make references to things
I dont understand. Likewise, UK phrases from "I have a cunning plan",
"here's one I prepared earlier" and the like dont transfer.

Now that everyone is being brought up with unified TV from tellietubbies
onwards (yes, I did have to watch it at 0630 today), life may get easier. At
least if the witty tv references are restricted to "UH-OH" and comments
about tubby-custard.

In the book Erik provided the the localisation service. Certain UK phrases
'till later' map to "until later", and so on, and of course there was the
different spelling -since then I intermittently spell US style. We had fun
getting hacker speak past the editors, I distinctly remember "crufty" as one
of the issues. ESR's hacker dictionary was used as the reference manual
there, though I never got to insert 'voodoo programming' or 'wave a dead
chicken over the source' (*)

-steve

(*) But in the "when web services go bad project", an official strategy for
one problem was going to be "have a virgin sacrifice a goat", the reason for
having the virgin do it being if the goat didnt work, we had an escalation
policy to hand...